WEBLambs in Winter Terrain GIS.jpg

Film Policy and Permits

If you are planning to film in our region please refer to the Local Government Filming Protocol before you submit a completed Filming Application Form.

Contact the Arts North West Office to be directed to the Film Contact for the region in which you plan to film. 

A filming permit may be required if you are:

filming in public locations such as streets, national parks or cultural sites which are controlled by local Council, State or Federal Government agencies; 

filming on major roads or highways controlled by the NSW Roads and Traffic Authority, using firearms, pyrotechnics or explosives.

We advise filmmakers to contact Film NENW first. Permit applications should be submitted at least ten (10) working days prior to the commencement of filming to allow sufficient time for processing. For information about Fees and Charges see below.

Filming in Australia

International productions filming in Australia will need to secure entry visas for foreign cast and/or crew.

Media and Film Staff Visa (subclass 423)

A temporary stay visa for those involved in the production of documentary programs or commercials exclusively for use outside Australia, or media and for film staff approved under a co-production agreement to which Australia is a party. More information at www.immi.gov.au

Entertainment Visa (subclass 420)

A temporary work visa for production crew intending to work temporarily in Australia in film, television or live production in either a performance or behind-the scenes role. More information at www.immi.gov.au

Business Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) Visa

A short stay visa if you are visiting Australia to undertake locations surveys, hold business meetings or for a short stay prior to pre-production. Production work cannot be undertaken in Australia when travelling on this visa. More information at www.immi.gov.au

Fees and Charges

A per production fee of $550.00 (including GST) will apply to all productions in the NENW region. This fee covers the application process, a one-off locations fee, and site costs of filming on public land or in public buildings or spaces.

NO DAILY LOCATIONS FEES associated with filming on public land or in public buildings or spaces will be charged, except where an existing hire fee is in place.

Permit fees and charges may apply in the following circumstances:
if a planning permit is required
where Council personnel are required to be present during filming|
where additional services and resources are requested from Council
where temporary road closures are required (costs provided on application to the relevant Council)
Applications for filming should be made at least ten (10) working days before the requested filming date, subject to the scope of the production.

Commercial stills photographyDocumentaries, short films, children’s productionsTV, drama, miniseriesTV commercialsFilm less than $10million budgetFilm above $10 million budget
Cash bond (paid to relevant council if applicable, excluding GST)nil$500$500$750$1000$2000
Public liability insurance, minimum required (excluding GST)$10 million$10 million$10 million$10 million$10 million$10 million


Waiving Fees and Charges
Council may agree to reduce or waive fees if the production is, for example:

A student film production

A documentary

An educational, charitable or community project

A tourism-based production
A request to waive fees and charges associated with commercial filming/photography activity must be received by Council in writing.

Downloadable Forms

Regional Filming Policy

Filming Application Form

Fees & Charges

Sample Location Agreement

Useful Contacts

NSW Roads & Traffic Authority
Tel: +61 2 8396 1517

Screen NSW
Tel: +61 2 8222 4844

Tel: +61 2 9383 4192

National Parks & Wildlife Service, Department of Environment & Climate Change NSW
Tel: +61 2 9995 5000

Aboriginal Lands Council
Tel: +61 2 9689 4444

Department of the Environment & Water Resources
Tel: +61 2 6274 1111