Myall Creek and beyond - symposium
Oorala Aboriginal Centre, University of New England, Armidale
The 'Myall Creek and beyond' symposium seeks to bring together a series of speakers and researchers who work in history, law, cultural studies, visual arts, performing arts, peace studies, education and other fields.
Participants will explore the historical, legal and cultural significance of the Myall Creek Massacre and the subsequent prosecution of the murderers. They will also examine the way the contemporary memorial event has become a local, national and international symbol for reconciliation between communities.
The symposium will be held at the Oorala Centre at the University of New England and will include:
- a keynote address by Bruce Pascoe, historian and author 'Dark Emu'
- The historical and national significance of the Myall Creek Massacre
- Legal issues and perspectives - war crimes, human rights and land rights
- Reconciliation & Remembrance - the role of arts, memorials and performances
The book 'Remembering Myall Creek Massacre (1838-2018)' (ed. Jane Lydon & Lyndall Ryan) will also be launched by Aunty Sue Blacklock at the symposium.
Participants will then be invited to attend the opening of the exhibition 'Myall Creek and beyond ' at the New England Regional Art Museum at 6.00pm.
The program and registration details are now available for the 'Myall Creek and beyond' symposium on the NERAM website:
The exhibition Myall Creek and beyond is a partnership between the New England Regional Art Museum and the Friends of Myall Creek Memorial and has been supported by Regional Arts NSW through the Regional Arts Fund, the New South Wales Government through Create NSW and the Australian Government Department of Communications and the Arts Indigenous Language and Arts Program.
Project partners include:
- Arts North West
- Armidale and Region Aboriginal Cultural Centre and Keeping Place
- Beyond Empathy
- University of New England
- Oorala Aboriginal Centre at University of New England
- Friends of Myall Creek Memorial – Armidale Chapter
Ticket price: $100 full registration / $50 concession registration
Facilities: Wheelchair access, Disabled amenities, Hearing loop